Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Earthquake in China

Hello,

Thanks to all of you who were thinking of me while I am in China.

The Earthquake epicenter was approximately 1000 miles away from where I live. My friends and family are thankful that it did not happen in our large city of 10 million people. With everyone living in skyscrapers it would be devastating.

The earthquake took place outside of Chengdu, China a city of over 11 million people. I have several colleagues and friends from Sichuan province and cities close to the epicenter. We were even more fortunate as I was invited to travel with one of these friends to this province last weekend and come back on this Monday (the day of the earthquake) Because I was to travel by car for 10 hours and didn't feel like going we escaped from any harm again.

The earthquake was felt in Shanghai and Beijing and Vietnam and some say here in Shenzhen. I did not feel it as I was traveling to factories or in factories with big machinery that shake the buildings and could not distinguish between the earthquake and a big machine stamping out metal parts.

I will update you more on the earthquake and other stories from China soon.

On a more positive note. I was invited to my step daughters school last week by her teachers. What a wonderful experience. I took some video from her Chinese grade school. It shows how Chinese students learn and interact with their Teacher.

________________________---

No comments: